Coming Out


This will be my last post on Grace To Wisdom and my first on Recovering From Dogma.  The reason will become clear by the end of this post; the former title no longer fits.  I've imported all of my Grace To Wisdom posts to Recovering From Dogma for posterity so that one can trace the story.

(** UPDATE - JANUARY 4, 2012: After further consideration, I'm removing the Grace To Wisdom posts from this blog but will leave them in their original location - link above - for posterity.)

It's been over one year since my last blog post.  I could blame it on the insane amount of business travel I've endured, but that would be a cop-out.  No, this has taken so long to post because I've had to rewrite it so many times as I've pored over how best to be true to what I say in a manner that is respectful.

I've struggled with a disclaimer so as not to offend anyone of differing views.  Instead, I have decided to dispense with it altogether for this simple reason: This isn't about you.  While everything in this world is not "all about me", this particular blog entry is.  This is my blog created, in part, to give voice to my story.  This is not an attack on anyone or their beliefs or views, it is an expression of mine.  I'm not here to express or validate your views; If you want to do so, write your own blog, write your own book, tell your own story.

More importantly, I will not disown you, defriend you, or cast you aside for having views different from mine.  I love my friends for who they are, not for what they believe.  I will, however, eventually cast you out of my life for your behavior toward me; life is too short to endure and enable trolls.

Purpose
My purpose for this blog post is mainly driven by the need to be true to myself.  It's one of the elements found here in Regrets of the Dying, a wonderful post from a palliative care provider:
     #1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

True to the title of this entry, this is a coming out of sorts.  If you follow me on Twitter, there have been loads of hints along the way.

I can already hear the murmurs and gasps: "What's he about to say...could it be...?"  "I KNEW IT...he likes to cook and he has WAY too many shoes.  He's also freakishly into outerwear!  According to his wife and his own admission, he did most of the interior decorating and color selection in their home.  Hmmm - What's up with that?"

No, it's not that.  I'm still firmly (so to speak) and happily heterosexual (It's not a choice).  Although, I imagine I am feeling an angst similar to that experienced by those who come out with their sexual orientation.

In additional to telling my own story, I want to be an agent of support for those with similar experiences.  Recovering alcoholics, drug addicts, cult survivors, and others with trauma in their backgrounds often seek to help others with a shared experience.  It's been said that we spend most of our lives either benefiting from or recovering from our upbringing.  I want to help others with their recovery.

Background
In November, I became aware of a coming out campaign: the Out Campaign for atheists.  In addition to the many Christians and people of other faith traditions I follow on Twitter, I also engage many atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and others.

My first thought upon discovering this campaign was why?  Why do they feel the need to "come out"?  Don't they know they'll be persecuted, ridiculed, perhaps lose their jobs, and damage relationships if people know the truth about where they stand? - of course they do - which leads to one of the reasons why they feel so strongly about this expression.  It shouldn't be that way.  They shouldn't fear reprisal, anywhere - particularly in a free country - regardless of faith or lack of faith.  Living truthfully, honestly, asking hard questions and being skeptical of ancient, dogmatic answers given to us from tradition should not be cause for shame.  Quite the opposite: They should be proud of who they are and their quest for truth.

But I'm not coming out as an atheist either; not because I think there's anything wrong with identifying as such, but because the title seems unnecessary and I'm not sure it fits me.

I've read reams of both conservative and liberal Christian literature, apologetics, and the bible (several times, cover to cover).  I've led adult Sunday School classes and bible studies in Baptist, Presbyterian, and Methodist churches (and groups outside of church).  I've served on church committees and tried to do it right as a Christian.  Over the past few years, I've also read volumes of work by Robert Ingersoll, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, John Loftus, Dan Barker, A.C. Grayling, William Lobdell, and many other non-religious writers and scholars.  I've grown to appreciate their perspectives on so many things and they add new perspective to what I've spent most of my 47 years mired in.

I recently watched a Youtube video of Sam Harris speaking at the Atheist Alliance International conference in 2007.  His speech was entitled "The Problem with Atheism".  You can also see an edited transcript in The Washington Post.  Sam makes an excellent point about the atheist label being unnecessary.  I'm not compelled to call myself an Aastrologer, an Aracist, an Aalchemist, or add an "A" to anything else I don't believe in or ascribe to.  But theism, as ascribed to in most churches in Western Christianity no longer makes any sense to me.

I've spent quite a bit of time over the past few years studying church history, canonization, historical vs. mythological Jesus, and Christian apologetics.  I appreciate how theistic thinking came to be and how it's been used throughout history as an attempt to understand the world around us.  But for me, it no longer withstands scrutiny or aligns with my life experience.

It might surprise most Christians to know that there is an increasing element within Christianity that could also be labeled atheist.  Some Christians identify as pantheists, others as panentheists, and no longer believe in a theistic, personal, intervening God.  They remain Christians because they see Christianity as a way of being in this life as opposed to their faith being all about an afterlife, which may or may not exist.  It's their cultural heritage and helps them find community and common purpose.

Let me stop there with how I got here and briefly state where I am.  There will be plenty of time for discussion in future posts.  I suppose the best illustration I can give here is to recount the story you may have heard in different forms about a pastor (or believer) speaking with an atheist.  The atheist describes many of the dogmatic descriptions of God he had been taught or heard of.  The pastor listens closely then closes with "I don't believe in that God either."  For now, let me assert some of the things I no longer believe in.

Heretical rant
Huge questions:  1) Is there is a God? and 2) What is its nature?  Like most humans, I still seek answers to these questions, but so far, I don't have an absolute answer.  I don't know that these questions will ever be answered or are knowable (see epistemology).  But I do know of several answers that no longer make any sense and I'm not going to pay them lip-service any longer.
  1. "The" bible (which one?) is now an interesting book to me primarily from an anthropological perspective, but its authority as "The Word of God" no longer holds any water.  We know too much about its history to accept it as divine.  I still see some wisdom in the bible as I see wisdom in many other human works.  Quoting what the bible says about itself to claim authority is circular reasoning and requires an a priori faith, which I no longer have.
  2. I also see much in the bible that is heinous, yet attributed to God.  A couple of my favorite examples: God tells a man to lead his son to be sacrificed to show devotion to himself (God), only to have God say Ah...I'm just kidd'in at the last minute.  Really?  At least a cruel joke if it were true.  I'd go further and describe it as narcissistic sociopathy.  Penal substitution (Refer to my previous diatribe on penal substitution atonement theology)?  Multiple accounts of divine genocide?  I'm not interested in the Nixonean defense, "If God does it, it's not immoral."  Nonsense.  I see why people once believed these things, but I no longer do.
  3. If there is a God, is he to be feared?  Is he jealous?  I don't accept such a god.  Yes, I know there is language in the bible that describes such a god.  See #1.
  4. If there is a God, will he torture me or cast me out of its presence for eternity if I don't believe the right right things about him while here on Earth?  This concept no longer seems even remotely rational or moral. See #1.
  5. This notion of believing the right things about a God in order to gain favor in the afterlife now seems absurd.  Calvinism and notions of being predestined as the elect, more absurd still.  I used to believe it, a priori, but I no longer do.  Who am I or anyone else to be favored, selected, elected, set aside for all of eternity?  Any god who could decide such things and cast the rest aside is neither great nor worthy of worship.
  6. I no longer believe in cosmic reward or punishment for decisions, only consequences that result from our actions.  I no longer believe in sin against God, only behavior that either helps or hurts others and the world around us.  Karma?  Would it be any surprise that we reap what we sow?  Even without a spiritual element, this makes sense.  
I'll stop there with the list of things I don't believe and refer you to About the Bible, by Robert Ingersoll, written in 1894.

So what's left?  The only redeemable elements of any religion to me are 1) Community and 2) Service to humanity and the world around us.  With the exception of Unitarian Universalists, church in America is centered mostly around shared beliefs and believing the right things.  I no longer feel compelled to ascribe to creeds which make no rational sense and are not supported by reason, evidence, or scholarship.  Unfortunately, I cannot participate in a faith community in my region without keeping my mouth shut, lest I be (hopefully just figuratively) lynched.  I had a front row seat on a powerful church committee and watched a pastor's career end, prematurely, because he didn't believe the right things, according to a group of well-heeled conservative literalists who had it all figured out.  I will not commune around their beliefs, dogmas, and behaviors.

If you know me, you'll agree that keeping my mouth shut is not my strong suit.  For these reasons, I'll need to find community elsewhere.  For these reasons also, I understand why atheists are coming out and finding community with one another - with anyone - who won't persecute them for tossing dogma aside and attempting to understand the world as it is, through science, scholarship of all kinds, and through rational thought, rather than gulping down twisted interpretations of ancient mythological writings.  For these reasons, I add my voice to theirs.

I no longer buy the apologists arguments for morality only existing in the presence of a God, as defined by them.  Humans cooperating in community and behaving in ways that help rather than harm themselves and others does not require a God.  There are good and bad people across all lines, including atheists and agnostics.

Good people help other people because they love them and it's the right thing to do to advance society and civilization.  I'm not interesting in helping or advancing only those in my club or who share my beliefs, yet that's exactly what goes on with so many religious people today...insider trading for jobs, favors, service, giving, etc.  Not in the right church?  You're on the outside and not part of God's Kingdom.  Nonsense.

Drum roll
So here it is: If labels are important, then I suppose I'm coming out as a Humanist.  I should probably go further and label myself a Secular Humanist, since humanism is an overlay in much of religious tradition.  Humanism and religion are not mutually exclusive.  Were it not for its humanist elements, religion would be worse than a completely impotent construct and more capable of inflicting harm than doing good.  I desire to grow personally and I want to get better at joining hands with anyone for the betterment of humanity and the world around us.  It now seems more important than ever to participate as a member of this world, helpful in my community and circles of influence, for goodness' and humanity's sake and not purely out of service to a God I cannot grasp.

Regrets
I regret some things I've done and said in the name of God or Jesus and the negative affect it has had on some I've encountered.  I regret some decisions I've made under the delusion and cop-out that it must be God's plan.  I no longer believe in or see evidence for such a plan or guide in all matters human.  My decisions - good and bad - have been my own.  All that said, I'm going to move past regret and attempt to return to a path of growth that helps rather than harms those I encounter.

Hope
By no means am I giving up on all things spiritual.  While my current leaning is that most - if not all - that we experience can be understood through psychology and other science, I suppose I'm still hopeful for a spiritual realm and will continue to examine evidence and my own life experience as it comes.  I'll no more reject spirituality, consciousness, and the like dogmatically anymore than I will accept the dogmas given to me out of heritage.  I still experience things I cannot explain and there have been events so bizarre that I may never understand them.  Coincidence?  Perhaps.  Some sort of spiritual connection between all of us who choose it?  Perhaps, I don't know.  A God who judges me and torments me for all of eternity based upon what I say I believe about "Him"? - highly unlikely - and if I'm wrong about that, then "He" is neither all-merciful nor worthy of praise.  Using what a bible says about itself as evidence won't do.

Despite all of this, there is also hope in Humanism alone.  We have more power than we think and Humanists of every stripe can come together without creeds of the supernatural as a force for good. (Humanist Manifesto III).

If you wish to continue to follow / engage in the journey, please follow my new blog: Recovering From Dogma by joining above.

So, to the extent that this statement makes sense to you, blessings my friends.

Allen

Comments

  1. Allen,

    So good to hear from you again! My blog has been silent for a while, as well, for much the same reasons.

    I admire your search for truth. I have found much comfort by falling in with the Quakers—an open-hearted and generally accepting bunch of people. My understanding of the Deity lies wrapped in mysticism, and while I still believe very much in God—and even the teachings of Jesus (I am, after all, still a student of Divinity, with my eye set on ultimately gaining a doctorate in New Testament literary studies)—I have cast off nearly all of the doctrines that I once considered essential. Not long ago an intelligent (though irrational) Calvinist told me that because I didn't believe in the Virgin Birth of Jesus I was not actually a Christian, since Christians believe in the Virgin Birth (circular reasoning much?). I have grown discouraged with the business of church, and with the failure of Christians to empathetically engage all of humanity (all of Creation, even) in the language of Love. I recently was faced with the decision of whether or not I could personally continue to call myself a Christian theist. However, I ultimately sided with the existentialists and decided that I can call myself whatever the heck I want, provided I walk the walk of what I perceive to be my personal moral code.

    I too have considered switching blogs. I don't feel much like an Everyday Revolutionary any more. Interestingly enough, I have already set up a website (but haven't put any content on it yet) via Weebly called "Diogenes' Lantern: The Examined Life of a Cynic." Perhaps we can engage in some discussion via our two blogs.

    Again, it was great to hear from you, and I hope we get to dialogue more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you mustered up these words. You've brought your points across so eloquently.

    I think what I'm most drawn to commenting on is this semantic issue with labeling what you believe. I also feel weird about calling myself an atheist, and it isn't really fitting in the sense that I don't know that there isn't a God. I'm pretty sure the fact that the atheist community has held onto the title is a large part of why religious people won't listen to them. They're completely misunderstood as a bunch of people who absolutely insist there is no God whatsoever. I've met so few atheists who insist this. I've met some who are reasonably convinced of it to a degree but none who claim to know for sure that there is no God. It's just as much an unfounded claim as saying there is a God. We're always taken back to the question "What is God?" anyway.

    I only claim the title atheist to the extent that it expresses its agnosticism. I live my life as though there isn't a personal God I'm supposed to know, so I pretty much live as a theoretical atheist would. The only ideas of God we can define are expressed in dogmatic human terms, and that is the God I reject.

    Finally realizing that my status for eternity hinged on whether I believed something or not is what finally broke my own Christianity. It seems ludicrous to me that God would judge a person based on how well he/she can be convinced of something. Someone who may be more gullible or unquestioning gets to be glorified and I don't because I had a hard time taking things at face-value? That is too odd to be true. And if it is true, well okay. My bad, I guess.

    I'm glad you made it to this point. Mostly I'm glad to see your regret section so short. It's so easy to feel regretful or embarrassed about our dogmatic past, but it's so much better to look forward to our futures as independent freethinkers. After seeing so many harrowing tales about people leaving the faith later in life, I am glad I left as young as I did before I had to mess up a spouse and children in the process. There's always some positive piece to it all, even if only the assurance of maintaining open honesty about yourself to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I genuinely enjoyed reading this. Aside from performing a few 'mandatory' Catholic sacraments my personal experience of faith is far from what a lot of ex-Christians have seen, heard and believed.

    As a new reader, I look forward to hearing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what an amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this, I would like to say:
    1. I take exception to your assertion in the "about me" section that you are a future author. You communicate succinctly, write beautifully, and self-published (via blog) or not...you ARE an author.
    2. I'm am proud of your quest for the truth & SO appreciate both your candor about your current stance AND the respect (you profess in this writing) towards those who have arrived at different conclusions.
    3. I like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Joshua, Katie, Natasha, Jen, and "Mrs. Pinkham" ;-)
    I sincerely appreciate your comments and encouragement. I've followed and engaged all of you in other venues over time and appreciate your insights both here and elsewhere. I hope you'll remain actively engaged with me here. I much prefer dialogue over monologue and I know that I can learn from each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well written! I don't share your views in any way, shape, or form but I would read your literature day & night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gabriel,

    Thank you for taking the time to respectfully comment, despite your different views. If you knew me a few years ago, you would have encountered a very different person with different views (see my former blog: http://gracetowisdom.blogspot.com for more perspective).

    I'll be sharing more about the transformation here and (hopefully)in a book soon. Many would never wish for the transformation I've gone through, perhaps comfortable in their faith or simply not wanting to "go there" and ask these questions. That's OK. There are many others out there who have suppressed these questions, needing to explore further, and need to hear from others who've experienced the same and I hope to reach them.

    Honestly, the vast majority of people I know are in a radically different place than I am now...more in line with my past, and that's OK by me. I hope it continues to be OK by them, but I'm not so naive as to expect that it will be OK with all of them. That will be their choice, not mine.

    Again, thank you for your kind words.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your sharing your view points and experiences. I find your kind and sincere approach very refreshing.
    It seems that I am where you were a short while ago. I have been going to Church since I was a baby. Initially because my parents took me, then because my parents forced me to, and then starting in my early teens I went since then because I wanted to go.
    Fortunately I have not had many bad experiences in my Christian life. But over the past 5 years I have slowly been thinking and studying more about what exactly it is that I believe. About a year ago it became crystal clear to me that my whole thinking process this whole time was completely biased. It was totally based on the belief that the Bible was the absolute truth and the Word of God.
    So I took a step back and started to study what I believed in from an objective viewpoint. In other words I did not read the Bible anymore with the assumption that it was the absolute truth. This lead me to have similiar thoughts like what you and others have posted online.
    I have not stepped away from the church (at least not yet) but find myself in a position of being an "undercover" secular humanist. I don't know how much longer I will be able to maintain this but will do so for now.
    Thanks again for posting your thoughts.

    Jason S. (not my real name)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allen, as promised, I read this blog following your recommendation by text message last night. I appreciate your honest declaration regarding the path that has brought your Spiritual life to this point. I, too, have had doubts over the past 50+ years of my Christian faith regarding God's current involvement and desire for this age. Should I hear otherwise from a professed believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, that would serve as a giant red-flagged testimony - "Beware!"
    I believe Mr. Dylan wrote a song titled, "Serve Somebody." I believe that all humans do. Long ago, I planted a flag in the ground I need to stand on to deal with all that life throws at one and at those one cares the most about. Were I to design that flag, it would show a cross with three Scripture references (John 5:39; Matt. 5-7; 1st John.) Though that flag has some torn spots in it, it remains planted in the ground I choose to stand on and from which I watch over my family.
    As one hymn declares, "I serve a risen Saviour, He's in the world today; I know that He is living, whatever men may say; I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer, and just the time I need Him He's always near. He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and He talks with me along life's narrow way. He lives, He lives, salvation to impart! You ask me how I know He lives: He lives within my heart."
    Though we differ in our views on this very important matter, I honor your right to express your opinion. May God, the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ, supported by His Holy Spirit, bring you to a place of peace that will offset that place where dogma brought you and left you to seek other options.
    Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing faith and our relationships

Loss and receiving prayer, "post-faith"